Kenya is situated in East Africa and is bordered by Uganda to the West, Tanzania to the South, the Indian Ocean to the South-East, Somalia to the East, Ethiopia to the North-East, and Sudan to the North-West. It has a landmass of approximately 582,366 square kilometers. The population comprises 40 indigenous communities (each with its own mother tongue) making up approximately 97 percent of the population while the remaining 3 percent consists of immigrants from Asia, Europe and elsewhere.
English is the official language and the medium of government school instruction while the language of the school catchment area is also used for instruction in the first three Standards of primary school Kiswahili is a compulsory subject in both primary and secondary schools. Christianity is the religion of the majority, with approximately one third of the population is Muslim.
Kenya is divided into eight administrative regions or provinces, namely Central, Coast, Eastern, Nairobi, North Eastern, Nyanza, Rift Valley and Western. Each Province is divided into districts that are further divided into educational divisions and zones.